Homemade Chili Macaroni
My (husband’s) homemade chili macaroni recipe is a crowd favorite! It’s quick, easy, can be made healthy and is CHEAP! Our family of four will eat it for two meals and it costs about $5 to make. Sometimes more, depending on sale prices. This recipe can be easily halved for a smaller family. You can also freeze this chili macaroni, beautifully, for a make ahead meal!
Chili Macaroni Ingredients:
- 2 pkgs of your favorite mac n cheese (I use the cheap stuff!)
- 2lbs ground turkey (or beef)
- 2 pkgs chili seasoning (we sure store brand)
- 1 med onion minced
- 2-3 tbs minced garlic (we use the stuff in a jar)
- 1/2 cup milk (we use skim)
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can black beans drained and rainsed
- 1 can rotel (we sure store brand)
- Shredded cheese (for topping)
- Pickled jalapenos (can be omitted)
Chili Macaroni Directions:
- First open the black beans, corn and rotel. Dump them into a strainer or colander and let stand until needed.
- Next, pour a little oil into your pot (this is a 2 pot meal no skillet needed) and turn your stove on med/high
- While your oil is heating, put a pot of water on to boil for your macaroni.
- Begin browning your meat. Once cooked through, add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- Check your macaroni and adjust heat as needed
- Add black beans, corn and rotel to browned meat mixture.
- Pour milk into browned meat mixture and stir well.
- Add cheese from mac n cheese box and stir until well incorporated
- Strain your macaroni noodles and add to mixture.
- Stir well and let stand for 5-10 min for flavors to incorporate
Chili Macaroni Serving Suggestions:
- Top with shredded cheese, green onions, jalapenos (my fave!), black olives, etc.
- You could make this meatless for a great vegetarian meal.
- You can also make it with beef or sausage. A combo of ground turkey and sausage is one of my favorites.
- Turn up the heat with added red pepper, hot chili seasoning, or your favorite hot sauce
If you do try this recipe, please come back and leave me a comment. I would love to hear what your family thinks of this great chili macaroni recipe.